Civil Enforcement

Some questions and answers which we hope you find helpful.

I've received a Notice of Enforcement. What should I do?

The Notice gives you a minimum of seven clear days to either pay your debt, or contact us to discuss it. This is called the Compliance Stage. Please note that a £75 charge will added to your account as soon as we receive your case from our client.

What happens if I ignore the letter?

If you don't pay your debt or contact us during the Compliance Stage, a civil enforcement agent will visit your home to seek payment, or seize goods. This is called the Enforcement Stage. Again, this visit will add to your costs (see link to fees).

I've received a letter for someone who doesn't live at my address. What should I do?

Please contact us immediately so we can update our records and advise our client. If you know the person the letter is addressed to, or have a forwarding address or contact telephone number, please let us know. You can email, write to us at Equita Limited, 42-44 Henry Street, Northampton, NN1 4BZ or call us on 01604 628 360.

What happens when the enforcement agent calls?

He or she will try to negotiate payment of your debt. If you can't agree, they'll make an inventory of your goods, known as Taking Control of Goods. You'll be asked to sign a document called a Controlled Goods Agreement, which postpones your goods actually being taken away.

What happens if I can't pay?

If you're unable to pay the debt in full, it may be possible, under certain circumstances, to accept a short-term arrangement. This usually means meeting the enforcement agent again to decide on the next move.

How can I pay?

Depending on the type of debt you owe, you can pay:

  • In cash to the enforcement agent
  • By credit or debit card (click here to pay online now)
  • Set up a direct debit
  • Through PayPoint
  • At the post office
  • By Banker's draft or building society cheque
  • Over-the-counter at any of our offices
  • By post to Equita Ltd, PO Box 30, Erith, DA8 1ZJ

All payments must be made to Equita Ltd, and include all fees and charges. Please make sure you mark all payments with your case reference number, name and address.

What happens if I pay my debt directly to the creditor?

That's fine. Please note that you'll still need to pay any fees due to us up to that point, and an enforcement agent may visit to collect any outstanding balance.

What happens if I default on my arrangement, or make no further contact with Equita?

An enforcement agent may come to remove goods, which can be sold to repay your debt. Please note that this visit will add further costs to your account (see link below).

I have a dispute relating to the debt or offence. What can I do?

You need to take this up directly with the company or authority involved. We will continue to try to recover the debt unless we're instructed otherwise by our client.

How much will I be charged?

Our charges are set out in the Taking Control of Goods Fee Regulations 2014, which you can see in full here. These fees are set by the government, not by us, and apply to all enforcement companies.

Please note that a debt won't be treated as cleared until it's repaid in full, including all fees and other charges.

How can I complain about Equita and its employees?

We always aim to collect debts as quickly and easily as possible for all concerned. We understand that a visit from an enforcement agent is stressful, but all our agents are fully trained, highly experienced and work in a professional, sensitive manner.

If you feel you've been treated unfairly, or the agent has acted incorrectly, you should write to: The Complaints Manager, Equita Ltd, 42-44 Henry Street, Northampton, NN1 4BZ, or email us.

In the event that you're not happy with our response, you can get in touch with the Civil Enforcement Association (CIVEA), which has a formal complaints procedure. Please note that CIVEA will get involved only if you've tried to resolve the problem directly with us first.

What if my case was sent to Equita before 6 April 2014?

If we wrote to and visited you before 6 April 2014, please contact us on 01604 628 360 for details of the special arrangement agreed by the Ministry of Justice.